Additional Enrichment Opportunities
UNICEF: Tips for Parenting during the Coronavirus Outbreak
PBIS: Supporting Families with Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports
Childmind: Supporting our Kids
Your school nurses are available for questions you might have regarding your child’s health.
Exercise is an important part your self care plan during this period of social isolation. Physical activity can relieve stress, offer a break from academics and promote family time.There are easy ways to add exercise to your daily routine while at home. Give these links a try and have fun.
Have a great and healthy week,
Adjustment Counselors/ School Social Workers:
Video: Life is Good
- Teach your peers- take the school work assigned and provide a mini tutoring session and post it for others to view.
- Write a journal entry for your classroom teacher about ANYTHING! They are missing you. Drawings would be greatly appreciated!
Dear Members of the Class of 2020 (and families):
A number of you have been asking about the current plans related to the Senior Banquet, Prom and Graduation. We can only imagine how stressful our current situation is to all. Our first wish is that you all remain healthy, use this down time wisely and continue to move forward toward your high school graduation.
Your end of year activities are utmost on our minds and we have had a number of discussions on how best to handle these celebratory events. Rest assured all of these events are very important to us as well and as such we are confident we will hold the Senior Banquet, Prom and a Graduation Ceremony. Given the pandemic however, the dates of these events have not yet been finalized. As you might imagine issues such as Social Distancing, the number of people who may congregate in a building and just making safe and healthy decisions are each factors in our planning efforts. Again, be assured that we will have the events. It is only the timing that is still to be determined.
To those of you who have not yet submitted your sizing for your graduation cap and gown, please email you height and weight to:
To any senior who is making up a physical education credit, please keep a log of your physical activities while we are out of school. These might include jogging, walking or really any other solitary physical activity that you might undertake. If you submit a log as outlined above, you will earn credit and fulfill your PE class requirement.
Finally, please continue to complete and submit your assignments as posted online on a weekly basis. If you have any questions about the expectations feel free to contact Mr. Dwyer, your classroom teacher or your Guidance Counselor for clarification.
Again, we are hopeful you are doing well and we look forward to the day we might all be together and celebrate your accomplishments.
Family nutrition Is especially important during this time of health crisis. The nursing team is happy to share a city resource and a video focusing on healthy choices. Nutrition 101
Your food choices each day affect your health- how you feel today, and in the future. Good nutrition is an important part of living a healthy life. This video shows ways that dietary changes can be easy and fun. A helpful site for children is ‘my plate.gov’. We wish you good health during this trying time.
Sodexo continues to provide nutritional support to Springfield students. Their staff are following a strict and safe plan for meal prep and delivery. Reference FOOD UPDATE 4/3/20 for details.
Sodexo Meal Distribution Map:
- Read your favorite book and change the ending.
- Plan a scavenger hunt throughout the house finding specific items (colors, shape, syllable counts).
- Create a fort in the house and write a creative story about it.
Monday – Friday
Ms. Drungo K-2ND firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Hogan 3RD-5TH email@example.com
Mr. LaPierre IN-HOUSE firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Londraville 6TH-7TH email@example.com
Mr. Thomas 8TH-10TH firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Cree 11TH-12TH email@example.com
Mrs. Poehler IN-HOUSE firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Conway K-12th SMC email@example.com
*Please reach out with any questions or concerns you might have for any of the above individuals.
Try this at home: Positive Incentives!
Please continue to use resources in WEEK2
Adjustment Counselors/ School Social Workers:
maintaining emotional wellbeing
Hi SICS Families! Your supporting departments put together a list of resources for you!!! Please follow CDC guidelines to protect yourselves and loved ones, remain healthy, and check our website and SABIS Digital Platform (SDP) for updates. There will be WEEKLY updates to this page, so check back often!
Resources for English Learners
● Khan Academy, https://www.khanacademy.org/: Available in 40 languages, Khan Academy has outlined support for parents and educators on how to use their resources during remote learning. Khan Academy is a free resource for students, teachers, and parents with a library of lessons covering kindergarten through early college math, grammar, science, and history, plus AP® courses, SAT® preparation, and more.
● ColorinColorado, https://www.colorincolorado.org/coronavirus: This bilingual website has compiled resources for educators and families of English learners.
● Duolingo, https://www.duolingo.com/: For students to practice conversational English.
● Immigrant Connections: From YouTube channels to multilingual reference guides, the site has compiled a comprehensive resource list to assist English learners and immigrant parents support the temporary home education of their children.
● Listenwise, https://listenwise.com/: Supports listening comprehension with stories and non-fiction in English language arts, social studies, and science. A subscription is free and includes supports for English learners.
● Newsela: Digital subscriptions for free in English language arts, social science, and science and supports social emotional learning and English learners.
On behalf of the student Management Team at SICS, I want ALL students to know we are thinking of you and miss you. We hope that everyone stays healthy during this time.
Child Mind Institute
Keep a schedule!
Intervention Central (behavior strategies)
The Nursing team would like share ideas to promote good health during this time of COVID-19 ( the Coronavirus ). Our goal is to provide health support and guidance while we are away from school. We plan to share age appropriate information on health topics including hand washing, medication use, nutrition, exercise, self care and body systems. We hope everyone is safe and healthy.
Handwashing for Teens
School Social Workers and Adjustment Counselors:
Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus
Student Life Organization:
Be well! Laura Domash email: ldomash@SICS-mail.net
Cooking favorite recipe - breakfast, dinner, dessert THEN post recipe and PICTURE of final product! (send to ldomash@SICS-mail.net)
Take a virtual tour of museum/capital, landmark, wonders of the world) and write about your experience and favorite part.
Write a letter to your classroom teacher.
While school remains closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic decisions regarding college enrollment for the fall must still occur.
Most all colleges and universities will have announced their acceptances for fall 2020 on or before April 1, 2020. Your decision from each school should also include a financial aid package which will help you determine your (and your family) out of pocket costs to attend the school. Normally colleges and universities require a commitment by you (including a financial deposit) by May 1, 2020. Due to the pandemic outbreak this spring, many schools have extended the notification and the commitment dates. The link below will provide you with the information needed to check on any individual school’s dates.
Of course you should call the college directly if you have any questions that the link does not adequately address.
Once you have an acceptance, a financial aid package and a list of schools you would like to attend, feel free to email the acceptance and award letters to any of our guidance counselors for a review of the package and an analysis on your out-of-pocket costs to attend such school.
Finally, all seniors should continue to complete outside scholarship applications for regional and local scholarships. Be sure to notify your guidance counselor when you complete the application in order that your transcript (if needed) may be sent to complete your application.